Home >> Public Works FAQs

Public Works FAQs

The Public Works Department receives many calls and requests for information from the public, here are answers to some of the more common questions and some basic information we feel may be helpful to you.  If you have a question not covered here please contact us.

When are the City streets swept?
Commercial Streets – Every Wednesday
Residential Streets – 2nd Monday of every month

Street Sweeping Schedule

  • Business, Commercial, Industrial Areas – Weekly (on Wednesdays, times as approved by the City)
    • Bayshore Blvd. (curb + islands + medians)
    • Old County Rd. (curb + island + median)
    • Visitacion Avenue
    • North Hill Drive
    • South Hill Drive
    • West Hill Drive/West Hill Place
    • Lagoon Road
    • Sierra Point Parkway (curb + islands)
    • Marina Boulevard (curb + islands)
    • Shoreline Ct. (curb + islands)
    • San Bruno Avenue
    • GCP(Bayshore-N.Hill) (curb + islands)
    • Valley Drive
    • Park Lane/Park Place
    • Tunnel Av/Beatty (curb + island)
    • Industrial Way
    • Cypress Lane
  • Residential Areas – Monthly (on 2nd Monday , 8:00 AM - 5:00 PM)
    • Monarch
    • Silverspot
    • Mission Blue (curb + island)
    • Cliff Swallow
    • Red Hawk
    • Checkerspot
    • Rock Wren
    • Warbler
    • Golden Eagle
    • Fox Sparrow
    • Kestrel Ct.
    • Tanager Ct.
    • Guadalupe Canyon Parkway (from North Hill to Carter) (curb + islands)
  • Parking Lot - Monthly (on Wednesdays, times as approved by City)    
    • City Hall Parking Lot      
    • Shared Use Parking      
    • Park 'N Ride      
    • City Corporation Yard      

Do I need a permit to remove a tree? 
If you intend to remove a tree on your property a permit may be required, please contact the Assistant to the City Manager, at (415) 508-2100.  The permit is available here.

How do I report a street light outage?
Please use the Public Works Contact Form and select "Street Light Outage" in the drop-down menu.

Who should I call to report a dead animal?
The Peninsula Humane Society at (650) 340-8200.

Where are my property lines? Is there an easement on my property?
You can visit the Public Works counter at City Hall to review our parcel maps. These maps will give you an approximate idea of the location of property lines, easements, underground utilities, etc. If you want the exact locations identified, you will need to hire a private surveyor.

Who should I call to report an illegal discharge to the storm drain system?
The City’s storm drain system collects storm water runoff and eventually discharges to the Brisbane Lagoon or directly to the Bay. Since discharges from the storm drain system are never treated, pollutants will eventually reach the Bay and may harm aquatic life or impact other beneficial uses, such as recreation or fishing. Discharges of material other than storm water to the storm drain system should be immediately reported to the City’s Public Works Department at (415) 508-2130 during business hours or to the Police Department at (415) 467-1212 during non-business hours. More information on impacts of pollution in the storm drain system can be obtained at the San Mateo Countywide Stormwater Pollution Prevention Program website (www.flowstobay.org).
Brisbane Municipal Separate Storm Sewer System (MS4) Map

Where can I find information on how to properly dispose of household hazardous wastes?
Everyday products in your home may be too toxic to put in the trash. Detailed information on disposing of household hazardous waste can be obtained through both the San Mateo Countywide Stormwater Pollution Prevention Program website at www.flowstobay.org (click on “Residential”) and San Mateo County Health Services Agency’s website at https://www.smchealth.org/. Collection centers for specific wastes can also be found at www.recycleworks.org and at www.1800cleanup.org.

Who should I call to report a sewage backup?
Sewage backups between a residence and the point of connection to the City’s sewer collection system are the responsibility of the resident and should be referred to a plumbing service. All backups within the City’s collection system should be reported to the City’s Public Works Department at (415) 508-2130 during business hours or to the Police Department at (415) 467-1212 during non-business hours.

What should I do if I experience discolored water?
Locate the farthest and highest cold water faucet in your building. Remove the aerator if there is one and turn on the cold water faucet for a few minutes. Do not use the hot water since the sediments may be pulled into the hot water tank. If the water is still discolored after running the cold water, turn off the faucet and check it again later. If discoloration continues contact us at (415) 508-2130.

Does the City offer washing machine rebates?
The City of Brisbane is continuing its participation in the High Efficiency Washing Machine Rebate Program. Residents of the City of Brisbane are eligible for a $75 rebate for purchasing and installing a High Efficiency Washing Machine in their home. The numbers of rebates are limited. A copy of the application and official rules are available at City Hall or at your local retailers that stock energy efficient washers.

Do I need to inspect and certify the backflow preventor installed at my place of business?
All private back flow preventors must be inspected annually and reported directly to the County of San Mateo Cross Connection Control Program.